Penticton, or "Snpintktn" as translated from the Interior Salish language of the Okanagan First Nations, means "a place to live forever" (the commonly accepted translation) or "a place to live year-round."
The first non-Native settler in the area was Tom Ellis, an Irishman who came here in 1865 and is credited with laying the groundwork for the town. By 1907, some 600 people called Penticton home and it was officially recognized as a municipal district by the Government of British Columbia. Four decades later, Penticton was incorporated as a city.
A detailed Penticton history is available on the Penticton Museum & Archives website. Click here for more...